WHAT CAN STUDENTS DO ON THE CLASS APP?
● Students can use Seesaw learning tools to post to their journal (group work), view and respond to activities (private assignments), view announcements from the teacher, and comment on their own work. Students cannot log in as another student, see another student’s work, or comment on another student’s work with Home Learning codes for activity assignments.
● Please click on the link to watch a 5 minute ‘How to families get started on Seesaw’ from https://www.phoenix-primary.kent.sch.uk/home-learning/seesaw
● Phoenix Primary are not use the Family App, our children and families concentrating on the Seesaw Class App.
● Teachers will provide weekly activities for home learning activities or group work
● Parents and pupils will ensure that they use the app, and the ability to comment, sensibly and that they never share any images/video that have other children tagged (by Image or name)
● Seesaw is in addition to ‘Home Learning Packs’ so that pupils and parents who can access it are able to complete online activities and share their work and thoughts easily.
● Some pupils will not be able to access Seesaw at home, that is okay.
● Teachers will mainly check and respond to home learning posts once a week in planning time, when out of lessons. This may be more during lockdown but please don’t expect an immediate response.
EXTRA SAFEGUARDS ‘EDIT ITEM’ TOOLS
● Seesaw have done an amazing job to quickly update a digital in class system to all remote learning in homes. However, we have had to put extra safeguards in place; your child will notice the ‘Edit item’ tools are not available at home. This is to ensure pupils cannot tag a classmate before a teacher has chance to approve a post. All journal posts, activity assignments, comments and intention to share to the blog require approval.
SAFER SEARCH ENGINE FOR CHILDREN – www.kiddle.co
● School internet uses education level protection and search engine browsers e.g. Google have safe search settings automatically applied. Please check your child uses Google Chrome to login to Seesaw and www.kiddle.co search engine when looking for images or researching topics. You’ll notice how adverts (grey box) appears at the top.
ACTIVITIES MAY CHANGE AS WE LEARN TOGETHER
●Your child’s inbox will help alert them to any new ‘Activities’, Announcements, Returned Work etc.
Initially, class teachers will assign activities on a Monday or Tuesday
● To begin with our ‘Home Learning’ activity assignments will be simple Seesaw creative tool tasks for both home and school to become familiar with the process, so we may learn and adapt as a partnership to support our children.
● For pupils, parents (and teachers) to learn the ‘Home Learning’ system, there will be teacher posts on a Monday and a Wednesday. A collaborative task will be set on a Friday. Tuesdays and Thursdays will be for teacher and pupils to send and receive dialogue around their tasks. Any communication will happen between the hours of 9am and 3pm.
● An example timetable (with clickable links) will also be posted at some point with suggestions of work you ‘could’ do – these are suggestions only if a set routine works best for you
● We trust parents to structure home learning in the best way for their children to learn and stay healthy in mind and body – whatever you are doing, feel free to post examples on Seesaw to share with us.
● Class activities will be archived by your child’s teacher on a Monday morning (around 9am) as part of our home learning process. This is so children can only see a manageable number of activities to make sure they do not feel overwhelmed. Please reassure your child Seesaw home learning is a school support and not a rule to complete every time.
● If a pupil has responded to an activity, this will still appear in their journal after the activity is no longest active.
CAN I MESSAGE THE TEACHER FROM THE CLASS APP?
● Not at this present time. It is best to use the class email e.g year3@... For any communication between the hours of 9am and 3pm.
HOW DO ACTIVITIES WORK?
● Your child’s teacher may assign activities in Seesaw. Students click on the Activities tab to see activities their teacher has assigned to them. To respond to an activity, your child should tap +Add Response in the Activities tab. Your child will be able to use Seesaw learning tools, once teacher approved their work will be added to their journal.
CAN I TOGGLE BETWEEN THEIR ACCOUNTS?
● When multiple children are using the same device for home learning, each child should log out of their account when they’re done using it. We recommend printing each child’s text or QR code and hanging it in your learning space. Toggling is not a feature at this time.
WHY DO I SEE OTHER CHILDREN’S NAMES ON MY CHILD’S JOURNAL?
● Multiple students can be tagged on one Seesaw post, especially when working collaboratively in school. Students can see posts they created and posts they’re tagged in. This is why the home school agreement insists no work is shared outside the Seesaw app (e.g. Social Media) that has other pupils’ names or images in.
CAN STUDENTS WORK TOGETHER?
● Unfortunately, not through the home learning app. During ‘normal’ school time we encourage children to work collaboratively. We have made the decision to actively disable this feature for the home learning app.
TROUBLESHOOTING MY CHILD’S HOME LEARNING CODE ISN’T WORKING!
● Check to make sure: 1) You are using the CLASS app to scan the code (not the Family app). If you’re signing in on a computer, make sure you’ve chosen ‘I’m a Student’. 2) The Class app is updated in the App or Google Play store. 3) You entered the 12 digit text code correctly or are holding the QR far enough away from the device so the entire code is scanned.
WHAT DO I DO IF YOU BELIEVE A CHILD’S HOME LEARNING CODE IS BEING USED INAPPROPRIATELY BY SOMEONE ELSE?
● Please contact your teacher immediately so they can get the current home learning code deactivated.
● Pupils or parents not following the home school agreement for Seesaw will have their home learning accessed disabled to protect the safety of the whole school community.
WHERE CAN I FIND MORE RESOURCES?
● Visit web.seesaw.me/remote-learning-for-families for Seesaw tutorials and resources related to COVID-19 and
supporting remote learning.
Belmont Road, Ashford,
Kent, TN24 9LS